Canada Soccer

Lots to play for on match day five at U-18 Cup in Vaughn

Posted on 8 October 2016 in National Championships

With two of the four gold medal positions locked up, a number of interesting matches are on the horizon in Vaughan, ON. The Canada Soccer Sport Chek National Championships U-18 Cup Girls final will feature Ontario's Kitchener Spirit while the Boys final will feature undefeated Alberta's Foothills FC. Ontario, Newfoundland & Labrador, British Colubmia and Manitoba boys team's remain in medal contention. Meanwhile, on the girls side Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador, Ontario and Alberta look to book their place in a medal match on TECK Finals Day 10 Oct.

U-18 Boys

Day 4 of the U-18 Boys Sport Chek National Championship saw Calgary Foothills SC and CS Repentigny secure their places in the gold medal match. Feilidans AA took another step towards a chance at the bronze medal match and Halifax City got their first win of the tournament.

Calgary Foothills SC (AB) 3:0 Bonivital SC (MB)
Bonivital SC kept the game close during the first half, but Calgary Foothills SC made the breakthrough in the 61st minute. Vaughan Bianchi swung a corner in from the left that Caleb Jemmott met powerfully at the back post. The lead was doubled 10 minutes later after some pretty combination play. Colin Purnell delivered the ball into the penalty area where Mason Ogoke was on hand to head it back across the danger zone. Chet Kulscar was in the right place to lash a volley into the net and leave Calgary Foothills with one foot in the final. Bianchi made sure of the result at the death of the game. Receiving a pass from Kulscar to feet at the top of the penalty area, he took one touch away form his marker and hammered home for the finish. The final result was a 3-0 win for Calgary Foothills SC. The victory booked a place in the gold medal match for the team from Alberta.

FC Regina (SK) 0:2 Halifax City (NS)
The second game of the day was very much one of two halves, as FC Regina looked more likely to score in the first, and Halifax City took their chances in the second. James Matthews was responsible for opening the scoring in the 63rd minute. He found some space at the top right of the penalty area and fired it towards the bottom corner at the near post. The keeper was caught off balance and Halifax were ahead 1-0. The game was sealed with the final kick. Regina were pushing for an equalizer, but left too much space at the back. Alex Black was able to streak down the left wing and get around the outside of his defending man. He squared pass found the supporting Damon Robinson, who rolled it into the net. Halifax City beat FC Regina 2-0, their first win of the tournament.

CS Repentigny (QC) 2:0 Winsloe-Charlottestown Royals FC (PEI)
The second berth in the gold medal match was claimed by CS Repentigny after their 2-0 win over Winsloe-Charlottestown Royals FC. The team from Quebec took 20 minutes to score their first goal, Philippe Proulx carrying the ball a good 40 yards forwards, dodging challenges the whole way. He was finally dispossessed on the edge of the penalty area, but the ball fell to Alexandre Proulx. He made no mistake with his finish at the near post. They extended their lead shortly after the restart, substitute Dany Theramene crossing for Benjamin Nadeau to head home in the 42nd minute. Theramene nearly made it 3-0, but his shot was cleared off the line by Royals' centre-back, Chris Sear.

Moncton Codiac (NB) 0:3 Feildians AA (NL)
Feildians AA gave themselves a chance of making it into the bronze medal match with their performance against Moncton Codiac. Emmanuel Dolo was influential throughout, and opened the scoring in the 26th minute after receiving a through ball from Kyle Williams. Williams intercepted a pass from defence and Dolo did the rest, settling the ball in the bottom left corner. Dolo was involved the second and third goals as well. His run in the 67th minute down the left channel led to a solid shot on goal that was well saved by Moncton keeper Andre LeBlanc. Unfortunately for him, the rebound fell to Felly Elonda, who rolled the ball home. Codiac had a chance to claw one back in the 70th minute with a penalty kick. Marcus Greene did well to keep out Johnathan Kalulumia's spot kick. Elonda was on hand to score the third in the 71st minute. Dolo had found him alone on the penalty spot. His first shot was saved, but he swept in his own rebound to give Feilidans AA a 3-0 victory.


It was another invigorating day of women’s soccer at the U-18 Girls Sport Chek National Championships that were highlighted by a several savoury match-ups. The takers of the day would have to be the talented Saltfleet Stoney Creek Black, who emerged victorious in the dying moments of injury time. But besides the drama in that match, each clash of the day was a closely disputed feat, leaving no spectator unfulfilled.

AB - Internazionale 1:0 BC- Coastal FC
The high-octane rhythm of this match-up started early with Internazionale pressuring heavily to ensure their opening strike against Coastal FC. Their efforts paid off in the 8’ with a magnificent hit off the wing from a solo run by their Jennifer Mcintyre. Coastal used the deficit as an opportunity to regain their composure and become much more organized. Their defensive shape aided their attacking labors strong and for the rest of the half spent much of their time in the opposition’s half giving Alberta keeper Bianca Castillo trouble until the interval. The second half saw much of the same equal level of competitiveness with Internazionale defending vigorously to maintain their coveted lead and Coastal pushing to equalize. Despite the score line ending with only a sole goal, it certainly doesn’t tell the whole story of the match. Coastal’s best chances to equalize came in the form of free kicks and corners. Particularly in the 54’ off a corner when substitute Avneet Rai’s free kick dipped beautifully looking for a blue shirt, but keeper Castillo dealt with it immediately. The final score line of 1-0 was the result of tireless defending from Internazionale in the midfield and backline while at the same time threatening on counter attacks. Coastal on the other hand should be applauded for their unrivaled pursuit for an equalizer since they continued to create until the final wire.

SK – SK Celtics 1:2 Saltfleet Stoney Creek
Saltfleet Stoney Creek pushed the pace early by putting on a passing clinic when in the area. The Ontario representatives gave the Saskatchewan Celtic keeper Raeann Ballantyne headaches with their dizzying touches to try and find an early conversion. Their efforts didn’t pay off until the 27th minute with a comfortable tap in from Miranda Badovinac. On the other hand, Celtic did a great job of keeping lots of major threats out of the box, and much of that credit goes to their last line of defense, Ballantyne. The story of this match was capitalization. Both sides did well to counter or exploit space, but it was Stoney Creek - the eventual victors - who used every opportunity in front of goal that was presented to them. Drama unfolded late in the second half when a collision in the box between Emma Davies and keeper Ballantyne earned Saltfleet a penalty kick. The chance from the spot turned out to be in vain when Ballantyne flew the right way and saved the chance. Stoney Creek continued to press and create with a lot of success, while Celtic had their best chances off counters, which made for a competitively equal playing ground between both sides. It wasn’t until injury time that the score would be settled at 2-1 with a late touch by substitute Claire Larose off a free kick. She used her blistering pace down the right, beat late defenders, cut into the box, controlled the ball outside the keeper and tapped it in. Saltfleet erupted with joy and the match dwindled to a close with the Ontario representatives winning in dramatic fashion. They need a win Sunday morning against the Quebec representatives to have a chance of reaching the gold medal game.

ON – Kitchener Spirit 2:0 NS - Halifax County United
An evenly matched first 20 minutes saw chances from either half with much more threats coming from the Kitchener Spirit’s ability to cut through the defensive line. The Spirit’s best first chance came from Christine Sullivan who glided horizontally across the face of goal and shot right into keeper Katelyn Fines' arms. Their hard working pressure came together in the 29th minute with a lovely team build up. Samantha Hayes received a pass off the wing, deaked the keeper in the box and converted a low strike to make it 1-0. The story of the first half was a contest on the wing - which side could create the most danger and which side could retain possession in the moments where it mattered. The score line stood until the interval but once the second started, momentum from the first carried over without fail. Four minutes into the second half, Kitchener Jurney Lajos ran down the middle and lobbed a ball to the top of the net. Luckily for United, it went over by an inch. The competitive equal ground by each club continued late into the second with much of the battle happening in the midfield. By the 61st minute Kitchener had broken the dead lock once again, this time coming from the boot of Gabrielle Zepeda-Ayala. Zepeda-Ayala drove the ball down the middle all with a man on her back, turned and looked to shoot but keeper Fines dove in to catch the ball. In a second, she chipped the ball over her opponent, fell to the ground and watched as the ball bounced over the line to secure a 2-0 score line. United worked diligently to keep the ball throughout the second half but never created enough to find themselves in the driver’s seat. Their effects against an attacking-minded Kitchener allowed them to challenge their opponents on a number of occasions, but credit goes to keeper Morgan Berg for handling all threats with ease. In the end, Kitchener emerged the victor in a match that was closely contested and secured their place in the Gold Medal game on Monday.

NL - St. John's SC 2:0 NB - FDSA
It was an impressive first half for St. John's SC taking no time at all to settle into their shape. The battle for possession was won more often by the Newfoundland side who drew first blood in the 20th minute. In an attempt to work their way into the box, St. John’s Holly O'Neill found the finish while slicing her way through a crowded penalty area and tapping in an opening goal.The rest of the half saw an aggressive FDSA looking to take a hold of possession and create something to their advantage. But most of the half was dictated by the play of St. John who finished the first 40 with a 1-0 lead. In the second half FDSA came out with a vengeance, creating four on target chances in the first three minutes. Much of that credit is due to the work rate of Emily DeGrace on the flank. St. John's finishing ability was often highlighted by the outstanding abilities of Kate Hickey and goal scorer O'Neill. The two women always found themselves in the box, able to make dangerous runs and caused keeper Mary Cronin to have quite the busy evening in much of the second. In the 75th minute a long range shot worthy of a second look, was fired by Kristyn Lee on target. The keeper fumbled to catch it and it fell behind the line at the misery of a tireless FDSA, making it 2-0. Unfortunately for the hard working FDSA, a breakthrough never came to be. The New Brunswick side never had a chance to finish in their attempts on goal, leading to an unfortunate loss that doesn't reflect their determination throughout.

Sport Chek National Championships
Canada Soccer’s Sport Chek National Championships run October 5-10 2016, with the adult amateur competitions hosted this year in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador. At all age levels, the Sport Check National Championships provide a meaningful soccer experience for host cities and participating teams, as well as the players, coaches, support staff, officials, and volunteers.

Back to news list

Proud partners of Canada Soccer