Canada Soccer

Challenge Trophy: Green & Gold wins over Holy Cross Kirby

Posted on 9 October 2015 in ↳ Challenge Trophy

Welcome Holy Cross Kirby of Newfoundland and Labrador. They would be the last of the 12 men’s teams to get their tournament underway. Representing the most Eastern part of Canada this is their sixth appearance in last seven Sport Chek National Club Championships. On Thursday evening they would open up their tournament against Edmonton Green & Gold.

The Alberta Two side is coming off of a fairly straight forward win over Manitoba’s Winnipeg Juventus FC from the previous day. Their second game in as many days, you wouldn’t tell from their energy on the pitch.

A solid crowd was on hand with strong representation from the East. The fans would be vocal on this night, making for a livelier event.

Both sides came out flying. Both sides made their physical presence known. It was a fast paced high energy encounter.

The first test for the Kirby keeper came off the boot of Igy Broda. Broda launched a shot from 25 yards out. It was somewhat of a routine save. But given the pace on the ball, Thomas Pieroway had to be sharp.

Alberta started to make their way forward as the opening 45 moved on. A nifty tic-tac-toe from Sebastian Cabrera to Mohamed Teliani back to Cabrera ended up with Cabrera smashing his shot off the post.

Moments later, the hard working Broda broke inside the box, somehow maintained control of the ball, somehow got it over to Ehab Teliani. Teliani did everything right with it, blasting it by Pieroway to take the lead at the very death of the first half.

Holy Cross began creating from the flanks. A pair of crosses called upon keeper Jaswinder Gill to deal with. He did so fairly comfortably to snuff out the threat.

Mo Teliani had a glorious chance and should have doubled the lead. Missing wide on a headed attempt from a near perfect cross, he knew he should have finished it. Teliani had been getting into the heads of Kirby players all evening long. From his physical presence to mad skill on the ball, he was everywhere.

For Kirby number ten Scott Woodfine, things boiled over. Woodfine would lunge a two footed slide tackle at Teliani calling upon referee Dave Gantar to issue the first red card of the tournament. Justly so, Woodfine was given his walking papers. For Teliani and his teammates, the eventual victory.

The final score would end up Edmonton Green and Gold 1 Holy Cross Kirby 0. With that, Green and Gold locks up first place in Group D. They now await the runners up from Group A which includes Quebec, Ontario and PEI.

Captain Scott Gilroy on progression: "Coming from Alberta, a very strong soccer province it’s nice to achieve six points and move forward but there’s still lots to go."

Gilroy on their opponents: "We got what we expected. They're a big, physical team with a lot of direct play that we had to deal with. First 20 minutes was a little scrambly, after that we settled down, neutralized their attack and got to put the ball down on the ground which is what we like to do."

Gilroy on his team’s effort: "Pretty proud of our performance today, very physical game, for us to stand up for each other and with each other is nice to see, something we need as we move forward."

Other results:
PEI FC (PE) 0-5 Rapides Chaudière-Ouest (QC)
Fredericton Picaroons (NB) 2-1 Nova Scotia (NS)
Estrella de Chile (BC) 4-1 Northwest territories (NT)

Back to news list

Proud partners of Canada Soccer